[Snort-users] Starting snort against multiple interfaces?

Fyodor fygrave at ...121...
Tue Jun 19 13:37:22 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 12:30:45PM -0400, Kiira Triea wrote:

> Ok, it's my day for goofy questions I guess. I have recompiled
> snort using Sebastian Krahmer's patched libpcap, I am using a
> 2.2.16 kernel and all went well with the build. If I understand
> the docs I've found on this I should be able to start snort like:
> './snort -D -i any -c snort.conf' and have it read from all nics?
>
> Instead I get
>
> Initializing Network Interface any
> ioctl(SIOCGIFMTU): No such device
> ERROR: Can not get MTU of an interface any!
>
> ????

Looks like old snort (1.7x something) is used here. :) We have done a
few fixes here:
1. It's recomended to use recent version from www.tcpdump.org, they have
fixed a few things in Sebastian's code and incorporated the patch.
2. More recent snort, we have fixed support of interface 'any' in it :)