[Snort-users] snort trips..

Blake Frantz blake at ...319...
Mon Jun 18 17:45:50 EDT 2001

This might be best suited for the mysql list but I thought I'd bounce
against you guys first.

I'm running snort 1.7 on redhat 7.1.

</snip>
mysql> use snort;

Database changed
mysql> select event.signature, iphdr.ip_src, iphdr.ip_dst
    -> from event,iphdr
    -> where event.signature = "spp_http_decode: CGI Null Byte attack
detected";
/usr/bin/safe_mysqld: line 258:   758 Killed
$NOHUP_NICENESS $ledir/$MYSQLD $defaults --basedir=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION
--datadir=$DATADIR $USER_OPTION --pid-file=$pid_file --skip-locking
>>$err_log 2>&1

Number of processes running now: 0
010618 16:12:11  mysqld restarted
database: mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away
database: mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away
database: mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away
database: mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away
database: mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away
database: mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away
database: mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away
ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
mysql>
</snip>

snort *IS* logging to the database...I can perform simple queries such as
"select * from <table>" with out a problem.

This is a total side note -- But I have never had so many problems getting
things to work before I decided to install Redhat 7.1.  I don't want this
to turn into an OS war but is anyone else running into problems with
packages/rpms/source compiles on the RH 7.1 platform?

Blake

The Government, like diapers, should be replaced regularly, and
often for the same reasons.