[Snort-users] I'm being attacked, now what?

Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...
Sat Jun 16 02:53:49 EDT 2001

Thanks to all for their input on this. I have obtained some great
information on this subject now!

I have seen mention of a script several times now that allows us IDS guys to
automatically lookup the email of the technical contact of an ISP when a
large attack occurs and send out an automated email. Can anyone post an
example of such a script? It would be nice to be able to automatically email
info to an ISP when an attack/probe occurs on a large scale. It is very time
consuming to send out manual emails to a dozen ISPs everyday!

Thanks again!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tremaine Lea
To: Bob Staaf; Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW); Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: 6/16/01 2:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] I'm being attacked, now what?

I think I might be able to shed some unique insight into this one,
although I
have to say Bob has the right of it.

I work in the AUP department of one the larger ISP's in North America.
Ideally what we like to see is a time/date stamped log that shows the
attacking IP address, along with source and destination port.  Big
hint...
don't submit multiple IP's in one complaint.  It makes our job harder.
And
if you really want to win our attention, have a short description of the

problem in the subject.  Your's may not be the only attack to be
reported
regarding that IP, and we love it when we can group them <g>

ie Subject : IP address/ tcp portscan

Or something along those lines.  Oh yeah, and don't swear at us.  We
eventually have to contact the 'offender' and we take enough abuse from
them!
 A great many of the complaints we recieve turn out to be as a result of
compromised machine being used as a zombie.  So please don't assume that
the
IP attacking you is the genuine source of the attack.  At the very least
you
are helping secure one more machine on the internet, thereby closing it
off
to a hacker or s'kiddie.

About the only other thing I can suggest is do a bit of research before
you
submit the info to us.  You can't imagine how frustrating it is to
recieve a
blistering letter from someone demanding we 'take down and eliminate' a
user
because they had the audacity to ping someones machine... once.  Weigh
the
severity of the attack and report accordingly.  A couple of 'icmp
unreachables' do not an attack make ;)

On Friday 15 June 2001 17:00, Bob Staaf wrote:
> Paul,
>
>      The technical contact should but good and most ISPs have an email
> address similar to abuse at ...558... or webmaster at ...558... or visit
the
> ISP website and check to see how to report network abuse, most have
that
> info on their site.  I usually attach the corresponding parts of the
log
> with my IP anonymousified so they can see the details of the attack.
>
> Bob

You
> > might want to look at something to help manage the logs like Acid or
> > some
> > other product, it will make the job much easier to spot trends.
> >      You know your management better than anyone but, the BEST
security
> > measure you can take is knowing what is going on with your network
and
> > keeping a close eye on the logs is one of the best ways to do that.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > Bob Staaf
> > Southern Web Services
> > Orlando, Fl

there....maybe

> > only
> >
> > > send a complaint when attacks from one node become ridiculously
large,

> > or
> > if
> >
> > > they successfully break in?
> > >
> > > The logs are nice to have, but I know management will ask what are
we

> > doing
> >
> > > about the attacks we are seeing and what is the time you are
spending
> > > maintaining the IDS server doing for the company?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Tremaine Lea

Doing things the hard way.  Every time.