[Snort-users] I'm being attacked, now what?

Tremaine Lea Tremaine at ...2255...
Sat Jun 16 02:02:53 EDT 2001

I think I might be able to shed some unique insight into this one, although I
have to say Bob has the right of it.

I work in the AUP department of one the larger ISP's in North America.
Ideally what we like to see is a time/date stamped log that shows the
attacking IP address, along with source and destination port.  Big hint...
don't submit multiple IP's in one complaint.  It makes our job harder.  And
if you really want to win our attention, have a short description of the
problem in the subject.  Your's may not be the only attack to be reported
regarding that IP, and we love it when we can group them <g>

ie Subject : IP address/ tcp portscan

Or something along those lines.  Oh yeah, and don't swear at us.  We
eventually have to contact the 'offender' and we take enough abuse from them!
 A great many of the complaints we recieve turn out to be as a result of a
compromised machine being used as a zombie.  So please don't assume that the
IP attacking you is the genuine source of the attack.  At the very least you
are helping secure one more machine on the internet, thereby closing it off
to a hacker or s'kiddie.

About the only other thing I can suggest is do a bit of research before you
submit the info to us.  You can't imagine how frustrating it is to recieve a
blistering letter from someone demanding we 'take down and eliminate' a user
because they had the audacity to ping someones machine... once.  Weigh the
severity of the attack and report accordingly.  A couple of 'icmp
unreachables' do not an attack make ;)

Tremaine Lea

Doing things the hard way.  Every time.