[Snort-users] I'm being attacked, now what?

Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...
Fri Jun 15 18:47:49 EDT 2001

I agree with you Bob....I have a LOT of other things I need to be doing
rather than whining to ISPs all day. Typically, where are complaints sent,
to the technical contact who owns the address space or "security at ...2295..." or
something similar? Would it be a good idea to include sniffer traces with
the complaint? What info is best to send over?

Thanks again!

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Staaf
To: Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW); Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: 6/15/01 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] I'm being attacked, now what?

Paul,

     I started out in the beginning whining to every ISP I could track
down.
You would have to hire a person full time do that if that is what you
wanted
to do.  I typically whine if they scan more than a 3 or 4 ports on any
one
server at once.  I also whine if they do certain types of scans that a
typical script kiddie wouldn't be running.  You might also want to
complain
if you see the same IP hitting your server day after day after day even
if
they only do one scan once a day, they may be trying to be
inconspicuous,
hoping you will miss them.  Just some of the things to think about.  You
might want to look at something to help manage the logs like Acid or
some
other product, it will make the job much easier to spot trends.
     You know your management better than anyone but, the BEST security
measure you can take is knowing what is going on with your network and
keeping a close eye on the logs is one of the best ways to do that.

Hope this helps

Bob Staaf
Southern Web Services
Orlando, Fl