[Snort-users] Assign NO ip addr to interface

Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...
Thu Jun 14 10:33:14 EDT 2001

My question, SHOULD I assign an IP address to the "Snorting" card or not?
Right now I have an IP address assigned to it. Coincidentally, I am having
network/communication problems with the box and not sure if this would
effect things. Should I leave the IP address on the SNORT interface or take
it off?

Thanks,

Paul Sheahan
Manager of Information Security
Priceline.com
paul.sheahan at ...2218...

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Bates [mailto:Peter.Bates at ...79...]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 9:54 AM
To: snort-users
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Assign NO ip addr to interface

Hello there...

All I have (personally) is a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local that says:

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 up promisc

considering eth1 as the 'snorting' card.

When you then examine the interface using ifconfig,
you will not the usual flags associated with it (UP BROADCAST, etc.)
but notice it hasn't got an IP address defined...

You can probably do the same using something in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 like:

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes

But I've never tried it that way myself...

This is listed in the FAQ, I believe:

http://www.snort.org/FAQ.html