[Snort-users] Assign NO ip addr to interface

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at ...79...
Thu Jun 14 09:53:45 EDT 2001

Hello there...

All I have (personally) is a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local that says:

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 up promisc

considering eth1 as the 'snorting' card.

When you then examine the interface using ifconfig,
you will not the usual flags associated with it (UP BROADCAST, etc.)
but notice it hasn't got an IP address defined...

You can probably do the same using something in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 like:

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes

But I've never tried it that way myself...

This is listed in the FAQ, I believe:

http://www.snort.org/FAQ.html

Peter Bates, Systems Support Officer, Network Support Team.
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Telephone:0207-927 2124 / Fax: 0207-436 5389 / Pager: 07625 255362