[Snort-users] Redhat webserver setup

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Wed Jun 13 13:37:41 EDT 2001

Chris,

Snort is an IDS only and you will need a firewall to protect yourself.
By the time Snort detects an intrusion they are in your system. At that
point it logs and you will have to deal with the attack.

-Mike

        Commercial Snort Support
             1.866.41.SNORT
Silicon Defense - www.silicondefense.com
Michael Steele - Snort Support Technician

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Chris
Mason
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 6:13 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Redhat webserver setup

I have a webserver hosting about 50 domains. It runs Redhat 7.1, and has
portsentry using iptables, and logcheck installed.

I'm looking at using Snort to protect the machine from external attacks
(I
don't have any real users other than myself) but I don't know much about
setting up Snort. Is there a ready-to-go configuration that will work
for a
stand-alone webserver or do I have to do a ton of customizing, and if
so,
can someone assist?

Chris Mason
masonc at ...2212...
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
Take a virtual tour of the island
http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
Find your perfect rental villa www.mycaribbean.com
Talk to me in real time with Instant Messenger: masonc92 at ...125...
or ICQ 118159388
Signature F331 8AD1 36FB B3B0 DF9F  D95B 8024 D1EA 7450 D50C