[Snort-users] Snort and IPTables?

Louie Martinez louie at ...2231...
Mon Jun 11 20:12:46 EDT 2001

I was wondering if snort only works with ipchain's and not with iptables.

Has anyone got it to work with iptables? I'm currently using
shorewall-1.1.7 to manage iptables and I haven't been able to get it to log
anything. I created a the following test rule....

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"TCP test rule";)

and it seemed to like that fine and detected all the packets sent with the
sample attack script but removing the rule didn't trigger any of the other
default snortrules.

Perplexed