[Snort-users] Logging Question

Phil Wood cpw at ...440...
Mon Jun 11 19:34:17 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 06:13:31PM -0400, Jim Kipp wrote:
> Hi
>
> What is the differene between using the -s option to log to syslog and
> the output plugin:
> output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT ?
> and should/could I be using both at the same time ??

No.

I think the goal is to end up with most all your "options" defined in the
configuration file.  If you have more than one output/alert option they must
all be in the conf file.  The switches on the command line, having to do with
logging, override what's in the conf file.  This is not always obvious
in practice, and leads one to madness on occasion.

> Thanks
> Jim

Phil Wood, cpw at ...440...