[Snort-users] snort & logging

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Mon Jun 11 15:41:16 EDT 2001

Sven:

Logging and alerts are two different animals.

At least in a rules file (this is my tcp-local-lib..) you can do this:

#
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 25 (msg:"TCP to 25 smtp";)
#
log tcp $EXTERNAL_NET 25 -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"TCP from 25 smtp";)
# alert to, log from

(Actually I don't thing the (msg: ... ) does anything in the log line...

So tcp coming in to *my* port 25 generates an alert, but I'm just
logging everything that's *from* port 25

HTH..

- John

--
John Sage