[Snort-users] How to review actual packets?

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Mon Jun 11 13:51:16 EDT 2001

Paul:

I'm logging in -b binary mode, and because of the small volume of
traffic here, I log everything.

Then, when I want to see what's going on, I have an alias in my .bashrc
that says:

alias snortview='snort -dv -r '

So when I want to look at a binary log, I say "snortview
snort0608 at ...2226... | more" and off I go...

I can also do stuff like "snortview snort0608 at ...2226... 'tcp[3] = 53 '
for example, and it shows me tcp stuff coming into port 53... That kind
of thing gets into learning the syntax in man(1) tcpdump.

I do a full scan on logs using another alias:

alias snortcheck='snort -dv -l . -c /usr/local/snort-1.7/snortcheck.conf
-r '

And then I say "snortcheck snort0608 at ...2226..." and it checks the log
against the rules in snortcheck.conf

...one way to do it, anyway.

- John