[Snort-users] chameleon overflow

Matthew Collins Matthew.Collins at ...1681...
Mon Jun 11 06:58:55 EDT 2001

I got this too. Reason, EMail from the snort-users list :)

>>> Matt Hand <matt at ...1740...> 08/06/01 19:20:57 >>>

  I was checking through yesterday's logs and ran across a SMTP chameleon overflow, which is unusual for us. The logs are from a machine running DNS and acting as our mail server.

  The arachNIDs database says its unlikely the ip address was spoofed so I checked and it belongs to cheetahmail.com. Has anyone experienced anything similar and, if so, what did you do about it?

  In any case, here are the relevant lines from the log file:

<snip>
Jun  7 16:27:05 chia snort: SMTP chameleon overflow: 206.132.30.40:41226 -> 207.252.45.6:25
Jun  7 16:27:05 chia named[517]: "optonline.net IN MX" points to a CNAME (mail-relay.optonline.net)
Jun  7 16:27:05 chia named[517]: "optonline.net IN MX" points to a CNAME (mail-hub.optonline.net)
</snip>

  Thanks for the help.

Matt Hand
matt at ...1740...

Snort-users list archive:

This message and any attachments are confidential to the ordinary user of
the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged.
If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use
any part of the message or its attachments and if you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete it from your system.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the context of this message which arise as a result of Internet
transmission.
Northern Registrars Limited, Northern House, Woodsome Park, Fenay
Bridge, Huddersfield. HD8 0LA.
Tel: +44 (0) 1484 600900  Fax: +44 (0) 1484 600911
For more information visit our web site: http://www.northernregistrars.co.uk