[Snort-users] Fw: [ronny at ...1040...: lhr.skitter.caida.org]

Ronny Huybrechts ronny at ...1040...
Sat Jun 9 04:34:33 EDT 2001

Their scan was notified by Snort running on our network,
just to let you guys know !

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
Van: Daniel Andersen
Aan: ronny at ...1040...
CC: skitter-configs at ...2203...
Verzonden: zaterdag, juni 09, 2001 2:41
Onderwerp: Re: [ronny at ...1040...: lhr.skitter.caida.org]

The pinging is actually part of a large scale global, publicly funded,
Internet measurement initiative that is developing connectivity,
routing, and performance information about the wide area
infrastructure.

We use low-intensity (about one 52-byte packet per hour)
traceroute-like measurements of forward IP paths ('hops') from a
source to many destinations.  Some destinations may see a higher
packet rate if they are part of some particular sub-study.  For
example, our current study of root servers employs a higher packet
rate.

We have thousands of destinations in the experiment so far - so many
that it is impossible to contact and obtain permission from all
destination host administrators.

Our policy is to immediately remove any destination host if they
request that we stop pinging.  If you would like to be removed from
our destination host list, please reply to this email, including the
IP addresses of the affected host(s), and we will deactivate those
site(s).

For more information about the project and the tools that we
are using, please visit our web site at:

  http://www.caida.org/tools/measurement/skitter/

Thank you for your patience in this matter, please feel free
to contact me if you have any further questions.

Daniel E Andersen
dea at ...2203...
phone (858) 822-0901
fax (858) 534-5117