[Snort-users] Seg faults, swap errors

Robert D. Hughes rob at ...1932...
Fri Jun 8 22:42:41 EDT 2001

I was getting what swap error on 1.7, and have seen is on the 1.8-b5. I'm
also seeing cores and seg faults on 1.8, but only when running as nobody, or
when using the whitehat rules.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Woodworth [mailto:kwoody at ...2020...]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 1:22 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] (no subject)

FreeBSD 4.2, 64megs ram, 128 megs swap. Snort 1.7.

Snort core dumps with a signal 11, segmentation violation. This shows up
in error logs:

tswapspace: failed
swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

How much swap does Snort need? Only other thing this machine does is MRTG
graphing, and runs apache. Of which there is only 2 of us that access the
machine via http. So the apache load is next to nothing.

I suppose I could add another swap partition, but I thought snort would be
able to run fine on this machine. It has an Intel etherexpress (fxp) card,
and is plugged into a switch, doing port mirroring, monitoring less than
10 megs of traffic.

Ive searchd the snort archives as well as the FreeBSD lists and find that
people run out of swap but not in relation to snort.

Snort was built from tarball not from the port. Built great, no warnings.
Any sort of fix for this? Swap in use right now is less than 2%.

Thanks,
Keith