[Snort-users] Logging packet contents in alerts.

Colin Wu wucolin at ...2181...
Wed Jun 6 12:35:14 EDT 2001

Why not build tcpdump on your non-snort box and use 'tcpdump -X -r snort.log.file' to extract the contents.  I don't see why you need to restart snort to get the data dumped since you're logging application data to tcpdump format file anyway.  Am I missing something?  If you just want to checkpoint the snort logs you can send it
a HUP signal.  If you started snort with a -b flag, and using the default log file name snort will create a new binary log file with a different timestamp.