[Snort-users] Snort 1.7 problem with -i any

Neil Dickey neil at ...1633...
Mon Jun 4 16:10:12 EDT 2001

Edwin Chiu <Edwin.Chiu at ...1378...> wrote asking:

>Checked the archives, didn't really see any resolution on this issue...
>
>Snort 1.7, libpcap 0.6.2, kernel 2.4.4
>
>Tried this:
>[root at ...2164... bin]# ./snort -i any -c ../etc/snort.conf
                              ^^^
[ ... ]

>Anything I can do, or should I try out snort 1.8 beta?

You don't specify, but I'm guessing you're running some flavor of unix.

What you're instructing Snort to do on your command line is to open an
interface named "any", and it can't find it.  Normally in unix interface
names look something like "le0" or "hme0" ( I run Solaris. ).  Find out
what the interface you wish to monitor is called and substitute its name
for "any" in your command line.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop