[Snort-users] Repost: Syslog, but I don't want it

Fyodor fygrave at ...121...
Sat Jun 2 06:02:49 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:10:10AM -0500, Marc Thompson wrote:
> Joe,
>
> You recommended that I run snort without the -D (Daemon-mode)
> option.  I tried this, ran nmap, alerts fired but weren't sent
> to syslog.  This is the behavior that I want, so your idea worked.
>
> So, it seems that running snort in Daemon mode enables syslog
> logging via the LOCAL facility.  I imagine that this is by design.

By design only errors and warnings are logged via syslog if it's running
in daemon mode.

> What do you recommend I try next? Bug report?  Enhancement Request?

Well, if you chould show us relevant snippets of the configuration file,
so we could reproduce 'the bug', it would be helpful indeed. :)