[Snort-users] snort and ACID

Steve Hutchins Steve.Hutchins at ...277...
Tue Jan 30 16:25:23 EST 2001

How would you trigger the java servlets?
If no one else offers any code, I was planning on writing a rules based
engine in perl,
but I haven't even started to think about the design yet. Whatever I do, I
think each
snort rule needs some approx categorisation/priority against it, which could
then be
plucked out of the table. It's still subjective as various things would have
to be considered
before raising a callout.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Halligan [mailto:agent33 at ...187...]
Sent: Wednesday, 31 January 2001 4:41
To: 'Steve Hutchins'; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] snort and ACID

Once the issue of the sensor logging hanging is resolved, another angle to
approach this from would be to use java servlets to do ongoing "real time"
monitoring and triggering of reports/classifcation.  We have been talking
about doing just this, but at this point no work has been done on this
front.  This would eliminate the need for stored database procedures,
allowing "real time" functionality even with mysql.  The base-line mode
would just be a Count * from events looking for a delta.  This is a really
low impact query.  If there is a delta, any number of things could occur.

-Steve