[Snort-users] Network Card and promiscious mode

Hearn, Trevor thearn at ...1219...
Fri Jan 26 16:08:19 EST 2001

Hello everyone.
Im a new snorter.  I just got thru re-formatting a server that had been
running NFR.  I liked it, but it was WAY too expensive for my budget.  I
d/l'ed the new windows version of snort 1.6.3, and got it running.  I have a
question that probably is an easy answer, but i'm not sure which way to go.

If I am running a machine with WIN98, how do I get the network card to run
in promiscious mode?  If I don't setup TCP/IP, will I be invisible to the
network?  I know that NFR did not require setup on the adapter that was
connected to the monitored network, but I was unsure how to get the same
results from WIN98.

I also plan to get it running on a server with Redhat 7.0.  Any suggestions
about my choice of OS?  Thanks guys.

Skydog