[Snort-users] Snort 1.7 w/ MySQL not working

Jed Pickel jed at ...153...
Mon Jan 22 02:54:25 EST 2001

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 08:15:04PM -0500, White, Michael D wrote:
> ----- Start /var/log/messages -----
> Jan 21 20:18:51 waters snort:  Check your configuration file to be sure
> you did not mis-spell "mysql".  If you did not, you will need to
> reconfigure and recompile ensuring that  you have set the correct
> options to the configure script. Type   "./configure --help" to see
> options for the configure script.
> ----- Stop /var/log/messages -----

This error message means mysql support was not compiled into the
binary. You should see something like this during the configure.  ...
checking for mysql... yes ...

and something like this during the make..

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/include/pcap -I/usr/include/mysql -DENABLE_MYSQL -I/usr/include/pgsql -DENABLE_POSTGRESQL -I/usr/local/ssl/include -DENABLE_SSL  -g -O2 -Wall  -c snort.c

If you don't see "-DENABLE_MYSQL" then mysql support will not be built
with the binary.

> I have tried both the RPMs and the source... both yield the same
> results.  When I did a './configure' from the source tree, I made sure
> that the 'mysql=yes' came up... I also tried to compile it with
> './configure --with-mysql=/usr'... nothing seems to work.

Curious... Does anyone know if the distribution binary RPMs include database
support? perhaps statically linked?

* Jed