[Snort-users] General Question on Snort Use

Jeff Stephens jsteve17 at ...1179...
Fri Jan 19 21:11:29 EST 2001

  I have a home cable connection and want to make sure my machine
is protected.  I don't intentionally run any servers.  The only process
that
is running that might be a matter of concern is sendmail which says it
is
accepting connections on port 25.  I'm not even sure if I need this
running
except that I think my redhat up2date application won't work if I
disable it.
Anyway, I am currently running portsentry.  My question is: Is there any
value
to me, given my setup, of trying to install and figure out the rules for
configuring
snort? Or, is snort mainly for installations running ftp, telnet, etc.
servers?