[Snort-users] How big is a MySQL Database for snort?

Guillaume Arcas guillaume at ...1168...
Thu Jan 18 06:00:39 EST 2001

"Prins, J.H." wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At the moment my firewall is a P100 with 48 MB of memory and I'm logging to
> textfiles. I would like to log to a MySQL Database and I'm wondering if I
> can put this database on the same server, and how big does this database
> become. Are we talking about GB's of data of just some MB's?
>
> The Firewall server has two 1GB disks and runs IPChains with a 2.2.14
> kernel. Snort runs on the same box and seems to run rather nice. For the
> rest there runs hardly anything on this firewall.

I am actually using snort 1.7 / ACID with MySQL and the snort.conf file from
the distrib. version.
Snort now runs since January 09th, and logged a total of 22.738 alerts.
The event table files represent an amount of 3.5 Mb.

Hope this will help.

Guillaume.