[Snort-users] problem with install

Bill Marquette wlmarque at ...8...
Thu Jan 11 17:24:52 EST 2001

He was trying to install RPM and it complained about libpcap dependancies (I
presume he never installed a libpcap RPM).  In linux I would guess that libpcap
gets compiled as a dynamic module (I can't verify that as I only have Solaris
boxes sitting in front of me and _they_ compile it static).  However my email
was providing help for his second question, which was why couldn't he get it to
compile from source (even after installing libpcap).

Scott, I don't know if you really need the OpenSSL libraries installed as they
only help the XML output engine.  If you aren't planning on logging via SSL
encrypted XML then you may as well add --without-openssl (I think that's right)
to your ./configure line.  If you do need it, you'll have to wait until someone
with more experience with openssl/snort/linux compile issues can answer.  Good
luck!

--Bill

From: Gregor Binder <gbinder at ...462...> on 01/11/2001 04:45 PM

Please respond to Gregor Binder <gbinder at ...462...>

To:   snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
cc:
Client:
Subject:  Re: [Snort-users] problem with install

Ryan Russell on Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 12:26:05PM -0800:

Hi,

> You can install libpcap properly, and it won't help you install an RPM
> without the dependancy problem.  If you install libpcap manually, the RPM
> database won't know it's there, and the Snort RPM will complain.  You
> might try rpm -i --force if you know you've got all the pieces installed.
> Or, install a libpcap RPM instead of from source.

can somebody tell me why you would need libpcap on the system at all if
you are installing an RPM? After all, libpcap is an archive, not a
dynamic library, you don't need it unless you want to compile source
that's using it. Not needed for operation. Or are we talking about a
source RPM?

Greetings,
  Gregor.

--
Gregor Binder  <gregor.binder at ...462...>  http://sysfive.com/~gbinder/
sysfive.com GmbH               UNIX. Networking. Security. Applications.