[Snort-users] problem with install

Gregor Binder gbinder at ...462...
Thu Jan 11 17:45:00 EST 2001

Ryan Russell on Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 12:26:05PM -0800:

Hi,

> You can install libpcap properly, and it won't help you install an RPM
> without the dependancy problem.  If you install libpcap manually, the RPM
> database won't know it's there, and the Snort RPM will complain.  You
> might try rpm -i --force if you know you've got all the pieces installed.
> Or, install a libpcap RPM instead of from source.

can somebody tell me why you would need libpcap on the system at all if
you are installing an RPM? After all, libpcap is an archive, not a
dynamic library, you don't need it unless you want to compile source
that's using it. Not needed for operation. Or are we talking about a
source RPM?

Greetings,
  Gregor.

--
Gregor Binder  <gregor.binder at ...462...>  http://sysfive.com/~gbinder/
sysfive.com GmbH               UNIX. Networking. Security. Applications.