[Snort-users] Make error on Linux Redhat 6.2

Beckster beckster at ...1127...
Thu Jan 11 14:54:34 EST 2001

Attempting to install a copy of snort received on a cd from the SANS
Monterey conference:

Running make and getting the following error:

root at ...1128... snort-1.3.1]# make
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I/usr/include/pcap	-g -02 -Wall -c snort.c
In file included from snort.c:46:
snort.h:28: pcap.h: No such file or directory
In file included from snort.c:46:
snort.h:46: pcap-namedb.h: No such file or directory
In file included from snort.h:50,
		 from snort.c:46:
decode.h:29: pcap.h: No such file or directory
In file included from snort.h:50,
		 from snort.c:46:
decode.h:45: pcap-namedb.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [snort.o] Error 1

I've searched my machine and I do not have any references to
"pcap"; however, I do have libpcap installed.  Any help is
appreciated.  I'm anxious to get past the "install" stage to
the "play with and learn about" stage.  ;-)

Regards,
Becky