[Snort-users] Snort on a routing box

Jean-Philippe Grenier jgrenier at ...1106...
Mon Jan 8 09:35:52 EST 2001

I'm having a problem when I put snort on a routing box.

Snort has always been between the router and the firewall and
I never had any problems.

                  snort

  router -------------------- firewall

But now, I had to move snort on the firewall box and I can't get
anything from snort.

  router -------------------- firewall with
                                snort

It isn't alerting me for scans and things like that. It detects
scans only when I use the preprocessor option, but without
this option, I am not receiving the usual scan alert when I
scan a host in my home net from a host between the router
and the firewall.

Any idea why ?

Thanks, Jean-Philippe