[Snort-users] New ICMP attack?

Johan.Augustsson Johan.Augustsson at ...796...
Mon Jan 8 07:47:12 EST 2001

>Was hoping someone could give me some more information about the
>following:
>
>[**] PING-ICMP Source Quench [**]
>10/03-09:21:30.000070 xxx.xxx.xxx.xx -> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>ICMP TTL:232 TOS:0x0 ID:53130 IpLen:20 DgmLen:56 DF
>SOURCE QUENCH

 From RFC 792

Description

A gateway may discard internet datagrams if it does not have the buffer
space needed to queue the datagrams for output to the next network on the
route to the destination network. If a gateway discards a datagram, it may
send a source quench message to the internet source host of the datagram. A
destination host may also send a source quench message if datagrams arrive
too fast to be processed. The source quench message is a request to the
host to cut back the rate at which it is sending traffic to the internet
destination. The gateway may send a source quench message for every message
that it discards. On receipt of a source quench message, the source host
should cut back the rate at which it is sending traffic to the specified
destination until it no longer receives source quench messages from the
gateway. The source host can then gradually increase the rate at which it
sends traffic to the destination until it again receives source quench
messages.

The gateway or host may send the source quench message when it approaches
its capacity limit rather than waiting until the capacity is exceeded. This
means that the data datagram which triggered the source quench message may
be delivered.

Code 0 may be received from a gateway or a host.