[Snort-users] Went to switched environment

robin stubbs mstubbs at ...842...
Fri Jan 5 16:40:20 EST 2001

This is going to happen soon to me also and I seriously doubt that the
network
powers are going to wire things just to accomodate me, a person of
microbial
stature at this institution. :-( So here comes a dumb newbie question:
If the network is switched, cannot one nonetheless have a hub
attached to a port and have multiple IP numbers off it? Say one has 3
IP numbers one could detect a lot of probes, couldn't
one? If somehow one cannot have a hub on a switched port then I hope
someone
tells me right away because I will have more problems than snort not
working :-)