[Snort-users] SNORT 1.7 RELEASED

Martin Roesch roesch at ...421...
Fri Jan 5 15:10:52 EST 2001

Snort 1.7 has been released!  It's taken five months, but we finally have a
new and far more powerful version of Snort ready to use.  Here's a brief
summary of the changes/additions to this version:

* Dynamic rules (rules that can turn on other rules) added
* Statistical Anomaly Detection preprocessor added
* TCP stream reassembly preprocessor added
* XML output plugin added
* Database plugin enhanced, supports Oracle DB now
* IP defragmentation preprocessor is 100% functional now on all platforms
* HTTP decode preprocessor can now detect IIS/UNICODE attacks
* Four new detection plugins(react, reference, fragbits, tos)
* Three new command line switches (-L, -I, -X)
* Improved packet printout code
* Rules language now supports IP address lists
* Arbitrary/user configurable action types now available
* Snort now dumps packet statistics to console/syslog when prompted with a
SIGUSR1
* Updated documentation
* Lots more

Check out the Changelog, the Downloads page at http://www.snort.org or the
source code for more information.  Enjoy!

     -Marty

--
Martin Roesch
roesch at ...421...