[Snort-users] ICMP rules from "ICMP tools" article and false positives.

Ofir Arkin ofir at ...949...
Thu Jan 4 22:21:10 EST 2001

Hi Vitaly,

I am responsible for this :)

Seems the HPING2 rule is VERY generic so it matches a lot of traffic.
I can offer u to make it a more generic rule stating "Ping with 8 bytes of
data only..." Instead of "HPING2...".

I am working on tuning them a bit more. TOS for example and when MF DF and
Unused bits will be available (probably soon) even more.

Hope this helps.

Ofir Arkin
ofir at ...949...
http://www.sys-security.com
PGP CC2C BE53 12C6 C9F2 87B1 B8C6 0DFA CF2D D360 43FA