[Snort-users] DoD plugin

Rich Smith Rich.Smith at ...1809...
Mon Apr 30 21:44:42 EDT 2001

I installed Snort at an unnamed facility. They were happy with it,
although I think they required more eye candy. I used Snort 1.7
w/ACID.

Whatever they are doing real-time has to be in an environment where
their bandwidth is damn small. I would like to see real-time display
at >100Mbs. ;)

rich

- -----Original Message-----
From: Tech-X [mailto:domnick2 at ...125...]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 7:44 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] DoD plugin

If my guess is correct, this is going to be similar to SHADOW.
Shadow is an
IDS that was developed by Dahlgren Naval Surface Warfare Center and
has been
used on military installations all over the globe.  This has become a
bit
dated, and I think they are tying to implement something very similar
using
SNORT instead of TCPDUMP.  Only time will tell exactly, but according
everything recently written by Stephen Northcutt of SANS, Snort is
the way
to go.  I also want to add that SHADOW was and still is a very good
IDS
program, but some things just need to be updated ;)

I'll keep everyone posted as I learn more.

> From: "Clifford, Shawn A" <shawn.a.clifford at ...178...>
> Subject: [Snort-users] DoD plugin?
>

> This was in the lastest SANS training email.  Does anyone know more
> about this plugin, whether it will become public, etc?  Is there
> already
something