[Snort-users] snort behind firewall ??

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Sat Apr 28 11:58:51 EDT 2001

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, dotslash wrote:

> so where and how should one install snort then?  if it's installed outside
> the firewall and the snort box is not protected (by a firewall) then it
> would get h4x0r right?

If you really want to protect your box, and are running something that
supports it...  You could turn up the outside interface with no IP bound to
it.  To my knowledge Solaris and *BSD will do that.

Now, you'll have to use the backend for access to it.  Only other thing would
be if that your traffic was all routed thru that box, this wouldn't work.
You'd have no where to route the traffic to.  :-/

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net