[Snort-users] Location of Beta 1.8

Dave.Hampel at ...1919... Dave.Hampel at ...1919...
Thu Apr 26 18:12:07 EDT 2001

Erek:

I did the process as you described without a hitch.
But, I think I'll stick with the 1.7 version.

When I run this Snort version (b1.8) I get a segmentation fault and then a
core dump after a blast of messages that have to do with what looks like
each rule being loaded.

I'll wait for the released version.........

Thanks for your help, though.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Erek Adams [mailto:erek at ...577...]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 11:44 AM
To: Dave.Hampel at ...1919...
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Location of Beta 1.8

http://snort.sourceforge.net/snort-daily.tar.gz

> Is there an RPM version available? I'm still kinda new to Linux.

Nope.  You'll have to build it.  It's pretty darn simple...

/build> gunzip -c snort-daily.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
/build> cd snort
/build> ./configure && make
/build> su root
/build# make install
/build# exit
/build>

Should give you a working image.  Just remember to edit snort.conf before
trying to run it!  ;-)

Please keep in mind one thing:  This is the 'bleeding edge'.  It can hurt,
or
it can be just spiffy.

-----
Erek Adams