Developers help please! WAS: Re: [Snort-users] Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET

Joe Matusiewicz joem at ...692...
Tue Apr 24 09:36:26 EDT 2001

At 08:02 AM 4/24/01, dotslash wrote:
>Sorry but I'm getting really frustrated.  I've removed the firewall, done
>all those things I've mentioned earlier in the original thread, and I still
>can't figure out why on earth snort would give "couldn't resolve hostname
>HOME_NET" !
>
>It is defined as well as the other needed variables plus I've remarked all
>those unneeded vars.
>
>Here's my system:
>
>FreeBSD 4-2.RELEASE, 32Mb ram, 1Gb hd, P3 133Mhz.

I've been banging my head with a <whisper> Win NT box </whisper> box I have
running on one of my networks.  Ever since the 1.7 release I would get the
dreaded "Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET" error.  I gave up after trying
every possible combination of the variables in the conf file.  I wound up
changing all instances in the rules of $HOME_NET and $EXTERNAL_NET to "any"
and it stopped complaining.  Not what I really wanted though, but it
worked.  I assumed it was a MS thing because my Unices didn't complain.  I
don't run *BSD.

Hope this helps....

-- Joe