[Snort-users] LOG_AUTH variable

Togan Muftuoglu toganm at ...603...
Tue Apr 24 08:31:37 EDT 2001

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding syslog facility for logging Snort. The default syslog service is mentioned as follows in snort.conf:

output alert_syslog: LOG_ALERT LOG_AUTH

from man 3 syslog (from SuSE 7.1) I am understanding it is recommended to use LOG_AUTHPRIV if my understanding is correct; shouldn't it be as recommended in the snort.conf file also

LOG_AUTH
  security/authorization  messages  (DEPRECATED   Use
LOG_AUTHPRIV

LOG_AUTHPRIV
 security/authorization messages (private)
--
Togan Muftuoglu