[Snort-users] Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Tue Apr 24 01:37:30 EDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, dotslash wrote:

> hehe. well i'm having coffee now and this is a good time to start fixing
> snort again.

Heh, you've got coffee--I've got good scotch.  ;-)  Troubleshooting may never
be the same!

> i checked and my snort.conf is still the same. it has both HOME_NET and
> EXTERNAL_NET defined in it using my networks ip address (for HOME_NET).
> bugger i don't think snort would need to resolve hostname before it starts
> does it?  i have firewalling in the same box and i can telnet, ping, lynx
> everywhere from it so there's no question that the box can't resolve names.

Hrm...  Ok, not to sound silly--But did you customize the rules any?  I had a
rather silly error in mine where I was using "HOME_NET" instead of
"$HOME_NET".  From the output you showed it seems like line 4 of the
exploit.rules is where the trouble is.  If you comment out that line, does the
error still occur?

> well, i'll finish coffee first then d/l snort again.  hell maybe i'll use
> 1.8 then...l8rs

I would suggest it!  Granted 1.8 is still beta, but with all the nifty stuff
that Marty and Company (You guys Rock!) have tossed in, it's damn spiffy.
Vlans, uricontent, rpc decoding, command line params not 'needed', it makes
coffee....  ;-)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy