[Snort-users] Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Mon Apr 23 10:32:47 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, dotslash wrote:

> grrr.. i d/l'ed snort-1.7 again today and the rules tarball.  unzipped.
> setup to my liking (which is what i have since day 1 which was working).
> then i get this:
>
> Apr 23 15:58:03 snortle snort: ERROR /usr/local/snort/rules/exploit.rules
> (4) => Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET

[...snip...]

Well, it sounds like you don't have HOME_NET defined in your snort.conf.  But,
from what you said, you already had a snort.conf that was 'edited' and ready.

Hrm...  Did you unpack snort in that directory?  If so, the snort.conf from
the tarball might have overwrote your snort.conf.

Please note:  This letter was composed before having any coffee, so it might
not be to clueful.  ;-)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy