[Snort-users] Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET

dotslash dotslash at ...1760...
Mon Apr 23 08:02:47 EDT 2001

grrr.. i d/l'ed snort-1.7 again today and the rules tarball.  unzipped.
setup to my liking (which is what i have since day 1 which was working).
then i get this:

Apr 23 15:58:03 snortle snort: ERROR /usr/local/snort/rules/exploit.rules
(4) => Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET

i'm trying to tidy up things so i've moved all the snort.rules to
/usr/local/snort/rules and have edited snort.conf to reflect this in the
include lines (i.e., include /usr/local/snort/rules/exploit.rules).  now
whenever i try to start snort it would give me that error message.  no
matter what i do it would give the same message.  i've tried moving
snort.conf inside /usr/local/snort/rules and removing the absolut path from
the include lines but that didn't help.

here's how i start snort:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/snort

/usr/local/bin/snort -i xl0 -A fast -h xx.xx.xx.xx/24 -b -d -u nobody -s -l
/usr/local/snort/log -c /usr/local/snort/snort.conf -D

what could i have done wrong!?