[Snort-users] Problems with True64

Marcus Andree mandree at ...940...
Thu Apr 19 18:47:20 EDT 2001

> Hi
>
> On Thursday 19 April 2001 13:43, you wrote:
> >    I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I'm lost with
> > this. I have not been able to install snort-1.7 on any Dec Alpha
> > True64.  The current, using 5.01 (with latest patches). It won't even
> > compile.  But the funny this is snort-1.6.3 complies and works.  Of
> > course it won't catch a fly , ran nmap2.53 -sT "nothing" was record
> > expect ARP.

	I've experienced such problems on our Alpha server. Are you sure
your Tru64 system didn't come with a C compiler??? Can it be some sort of
$PATH problem?? I had to compile it under Compaq's cc compiler. It failed
with GCC.

	Mike Meredith's suggestions about pfconfig seem to be quite right
for me. I had to use such "hacks" to put the system on the right track.

	Plese don't blame yourself for hating Tru64. I found it's a miserable
system also, and the the fact you must issue a command to put the network
interface in TRUE promiscuous mode is, IMHO, a weird thing, at least....

	If you need any help, feel free to contact me, but my answer can take
some time.

	cheers.

	marcus