[Snort-users] Snort logs web browsing

shawn . moyer shawn at ...1184...
Mon Apr 16 01:44:35 EDT 2001

Basically the http decode preprocessor is catching unicode characters
and alerting you to this traffic. For the most part, if it's outbound,
verify that it's valid traffic and you can safely ignore. I've always
thought that this text should be rewritten as something like "Unicode
traffic detected", since it's more often than not a false positive.

The reason you get it even with HOME_NET defined is that the http decode
preprocessor is called before the actual ruleset, so none of the
variables you set really apply.

In short, investigate, verify, and treat it as informational most of the
time. If you don't have any webservers on your net that are vulnerable
to unicode stuff you can probably safely prioritize this one pretty low.

--shawn