[Snort-users] Win2K Advanced Server problems

Michael Davis mike at ...92...
Thu Apr 12 19:56:57 EDT 2001

> I can't find the 'PacketSendPacket' string in the snort source, so I
> assume that's generated by the PCap or LibNet driver.

PacketSendPacket is part of the winpcap driver. LibnetNT uses it to put the
packet on the wire.

> that W2K application server.

LibnetNT is broke as hell. I had planned to write a real working version but
I don't have any time.

> Another option would be to change the 'libnet_write_ip' functions to
> some NT raw socket function, although I'm not sure how flexible that
> function would be. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

There is no raw socket support under NT4, 2k has a lot more options for raw
sockets but I think you should never break a program up to use two totally
different ways to accomplish something because the program doe snot work
well on one arch.

I do know about with w2k problem. It is an odd one though cause on my 2k box
everything works fine. I need to do some more testing etc to nail down the
problem.  This is not the first libnetNT problem.

That's just my two cents.

Thanks,
Michael Davis
Chief Technical Officer