[Snort-users] OT: Sniffing Switched Traffic

Marc-Andre Hamelin mhamelin at ...1803...
Wed Apr 11 16:25:37 EDT 2001

Just another suggestion of tool for that purpose :

#####

Ettercap is a network sniffer/interceptor/logger for switched LANs. It uses
ARP poisoning and the man-in-the-middle technique to sniff all the
connections between two hosts. Features character injection in an
established connection - you can inject characters to server (emulating
commands) or to client (emulating replies) while maintaining an established
TCP connection! Integrated into a easy-to-use and powerful ncurses
interface. Screenshots here. RPM available here. Changes: This release
includes full duplex SSH man-in-the-middle support, a new startup mode
(--broadping -b), new sniffing method (PublicARP), support for escape
sequences in Injector, a netmask switch, support for getopt_long even on
*BSD, and a NEW protocol dissector for SSH1, SMB, RLOGIN, HTTP, ICQ, and
MySQL.  Homepage: http://ettercap.sourceforge.net.

#####

Have fun,

Marc