[Snort-users] Initializing Error: Unknown keyword "reference"

Brian Caswell bmc at ...312...
Wed Apr 11 11:16:00 EDT 2001

Ed Wiget wrote:
> ERROR: /etc/snort/vision.rules (13) => Unknown keyword "reference" in rule!
>
> I started getting this error right after updating the vision.rules files.
> Snort version is 1.6.3 on RH 7.0.  Anyone know why?  If I install v1.7-1 I
> get even more errors....and I lose the auto update (snort-update).

We have started adding new rule flags to rulesets.  This does 2 things

1) makes you upgrade to the latest snort.  Old versions inherently have
  "issues" that have been fixed.
2) provides you with the best possible ruleset you can have.

--
Brian Caswell
The MITRE Corporation