[Snort-users] Linux packet loss statistics?

Martin Roesch roesch at ...421...
Mon Apr 9 00:45:07 EDT 2001

Mike Johnson wrote:

> Phil Wood [cpw at ...440...] wrote:
> > Those linux stats are bogus.
>
> Then why are they there?  It's not that I don't beleive you,
> but I'm curious as to why the statistics (which didn't
> used to be displayed) are now displayed, when they're
> bogus?

They're in there because I decided that if the Linux guys ever start
tracking such things they'll be accurate (and because people kept
sending me mail asking why I was being such an evil guy and not
supporting packet stats in Linux).  Anyone running Snort on a linux
system for any period of time will soon learn not to trust the dropped
packet numbers that it produces. :)

    -Marty