[Snort-users] compiling snort on OS X

Ami rashumon at ...1396...
Wed Apr 4 18:20:26 EDT 2001

im trying to compile snort 1.7 on Mac OS X 1.0
( with all the dev tools installed)
but make seems to fail .... attached is the full
results.
\have tried this with other host types that usualy
work but no luck......
any clue about this, anyone ?
has anyone done this successfully before ?

[localhost:/Applications/UNIX/snort-1.7] root# env
CC=cc ./configure -host=powerpc-apple-bsd
checking for a BSD compatible install...
/usr/bin/install -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether cc accepts -g... yes
checking for cc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking for gcc... (cached) cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc -g -O2 ) works...
yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc -g -O2 ) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking whether cc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-bsd
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
-traditional-cpp
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for sys/sockio.h... yes
checking for paths.h... yes
checking for inet_ntoa in -lnsl... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking whether printf must be declared... no
checking whether fprintf must be declared... no
checking whether syslog must be declared... no
checking whether puts must be declared... no
checking whether fputs must be declared... no
checking whether fputc must be declared... no
checking whether fopen must be declared... no
checking whether fclose must be declared... no
checking whether fwrite must be declared... no
checking whether fflush must be declared... no
checking whether getopt must be declared... no
checking whether bzero must be declared... no
checking whether bcopy must be declared... no
checking whether memset must be declared... no
checking whether strtol must be declared... no
checking whether strcasecmp must be declared... no
checking whether strncasecmp must be declared... no
checking whether strerror must be declared... no
checking whether perror must be declared... no
checking whether socket must be declared... no
checking whether sendto must be declared... no
checking whether vsnprintf must be declared... no
checking whether strtoul must be declared... no
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for floor in -lm... yes
checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... yes
checking for mysql... no
checking for odbc... no
checking for postgresql... no
checking for oracle... no
checking for openssl... no
checking for u_int8_t... yes
checking for u_int16_t... yes
checking for u_int32_t... yes
checking for a BSD compatible install...
/usr/bin/install -c
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating config.h
[localhost:/Applications/UNIX/snort-1.7] root# su
[localhost:/Applications/UNIX/snort-1.7] root# make
cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -O2 -Wall  -c
snort.c
snort.h:31: header file 'pcap.h' not found
snort.h:58: header file 'pcap-namedb.h' not found
decode.h:30: header file 'pcap.h' not found
decode.h:46: header file 'pcap-namedb.h' not found
spo_log_tcpdump.h:35: undefined type, found
`pcap_dumper_t'
snort.h:218: undefined type, found `pcap_t'
snort.h:223: undefined type, found `pcap_dumper_t'
snort.c:1278: illegal function call, found
`ProcessPacket'
snort.c:1278: illegal expression, found `)'
snort.c:1282: illegal expression, found `else'
snort.c:1287: illegal function prototype, found `3'
snort.c:1287: illegal function definition, found `)'
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart
preprocessing, retrying in basic mode
make: *** [snort.o] Error 1