[Snort-users] Time rift on AlPha, All Fixed..>Richard

Chris N. chris.northrop at ...406...
Mon Apr 2 12:21:34 EDT 2001

Richard,

>I have a Alpha running 5.01 (Dec OS)
Is that Alpha Bios? I think you can upgrade that to 5.7, check
out the Compaq site.

>install a better version of CC which one???
I loaded Redhat 7.0 through SRM, which comes with gcc and kgcc.
You can get either of these compilers off the web. I was told
that gcc was glitchy and to use kgcc, but gcc worked fine
for snort 1.7. Actually, I have less problems compiling things
on the Alpas then on the INtels.

>(Dec OS)
Did you ever think about switching to a linux based OS?
Just as good but better support resources.

>lost with Compaq Dec alpha, they are going the
>way as the Wang and Seqent computers.
Never, as long as there is a linux open source OS, there will
always be a purpose for them. I'm still using old 486's that
are a lot older then most Alphas. I believe older Alpha systems
are gonna get real popular real soon.

Chris N.