[Snort-users] Can multiple instances of Snort be run?

Simon Attwell attwell at ...460...
Sun Apr 1 14:04:56 EDT 2001

At 09:15 AM 4/1/2001 -0400, Tom Sevy wrote:
>On Freebsd 4.2, if I have multiple nics, can I run multiple instances of
>snort?  One for each NIC?  I'd use a different .conf file to set the
>home_net for each nic.
>
>Anyone else done this?  My cpu utilization is very low running with the one
>I have right now, very confident it will handle more load without a problem
>(2 x 233mhz MMX procs, 128M ram).

Yup you can do that.

I currently have a dual PII-333 that is running two snort instances because
of network layout
and asynchronous routing.

Both cpu's are running at 99% at present.... I think i need a bigger box :P

The box is currently running FreeBSD 4.2.

         - Simon

--
Simon Attwell
Systems Engineer