[Snort-users] Getting 'portscanned' by IRC servers.

Daniel Swan swan_daniel at ...479...
Thu Sep 21 18:22:44 EDT 2000

My new roomate is an IRC'r, something I've never mucked with... now, I'm seeing all sorts of weird activity from IRC servers portscanning my computer.   He has explained to me that this is normal behavior, as some IRC servers won't allow connexions from hosts with particular ports active.

My question is this:  Can I ignore these IRC servers by adding them to $DNSSERVERS in snort-lib, and as well, is this such a good idea, consdidering they *are* IRC servers after all.

Thoughts?

Before you buy.