[Snort-users] Newbie - how to extract any info from snort -ved?

Eduardo M. A. M. Mendes eduardo at ...477...
Tue Sep 19 18:37:51 EDT 2000

Hello
    I've just installed snort on my linux box.  Although I read all docs
(really!) I couldn't figure out
what to do with snort (I must be pretty dumb!).
    Before downloading and installing snort, I had the following
questions in mind:
a) Can I find a free software that sends a warning (sound, email or
whatever) that someone has tried to
break into my server?
b) Can the soft detect and block the intrusion?

    I run snort -ved and got loads of info which I don't know about with
(that is, extract useful information
from it, telnets, spams etc.).

    I hope I am not bothering you guys far too much.

    Any/all help would be most appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Eduardo